Jewelry is so essential to an outfit because it’s the factor that can either make it or break it, make it pop or flop. With that said, it should be given just as much attention as your clothes. So how do you build a solid collection without breaking the bank? Well, allow me to explain…
- Keep in mind that your jewelry should reflect your personal style and more importantly your wardrobe. What’s the point of having jewelry you never wear because it doesn’t go with anything you have?
- Shop around, and never buy on impulse! You won’t be too happy with yourself when you see that gorgeous necklace you just had to have at that very moment for a lower price 2 days later somewhere else.
- Be practical. Is this a piece you will get the most out of or are going to wear enough? If your answer is no, you don’t need it (unless it’s vintage of course )
- Mix up your collection with real and costume jewelry. My motto is as long as you’re put together and exude confidence, it doesn’t matter how much you paid. You will look like a million bucks.
Though everyone has their own taste, I believe the following will have you set for any occasion.
1. A statement watch
I’m hardly ever without my gold oversized Michael Kors watch these days, and I don’t know how I ever lived without it! It’s such a classic piece but still makes a statement. I adore it! Invest in a high quality watch that will last because trust me, you will always wear it! Unless your budget allows for more than one, opt for one that isn’t too glitzy so it can go with more.
2. Statement Necklaces
Chunky,chain link, bib, etc. They’re so fun! You can even wear them with jeans and a tank for a glam touch to a casual look.
3. Long and Short Necklaces
Layering necklaces allows you to get multiple looks out of the same few pieces.
4. Oversized Cocktail Rings
I love big rings! They make such a statement all by themselves!
If I had to pick one piece of jewelry to wear for the rest of my life, hands down, I would choose my hoops. I love hoops because you could wear them alone and still look complete.
6. Diamond Studs
Nothing shines like a good pair of diamond stud earrings. Bling Bling!
Stack ‘em up! I feel like you could never have too many on.
Pearls are my favorite type of jewelry. They’re so timeless.
How to Organize It All
1. By type/style (all necklaces together, all pearls together, etc.)
2. By color/metal/stone
3. By size
4. By thickness
You could also organize sets that you have separately.
Having everything in one place is ideal for me, but it’s not the only way. Before I had my jewelry case (click here to see http://wp.me/p1Br1B-83 ), I kept my jewelry organized in trays and before that, in bags (though I wouldn’t suggest keeping anything but rings and hard bracelets in bags because anything else will very likely get tangled or break). There’s nothing worse than having to say good-bye to a favorite piece of jewelry because it’s tangled beyond the point of rescue or there’s a piece missing from it. Here are some suggestions:
- Jewelry boxes are both convenient and pretty additions to your furniture.
- Trays are great because they can fit in your draws or under your bed.
- Boxes can also fit under your bed or in your closet. See-through boxes will make it easier to find the jewelry you’re looking for but cardboard boxes are also good.
- Thumbtacks and nails can be used for hanging necklaces. Hang them on your wall or on a board in one spot in your room for a creative look.
- Bed posts can also be used to hang necklaces. Just make sure you don’t stack too many on top of each other to avoid a horrible mess.
- T-stands can go on your shelves and bureau.
- Really special pieces can be hung on busts and adds a glam touch to your room.
So there you have it. Keep these pointers in mind, and you’ll have a collection to be proud of! I’d love to hear what some of your must have jewelry pieces are and how you organize it all in the comment section below.